Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Wait State...

Whenever you're working on a computer, and writing a program for a computer, you deal with and have to account for periods of time in between actions taken by the Central Processing Unit (CPU). Those time periods are known as "Wait States." Usually the computer is waiting for an response from the human user. Other times one program (or part of a program) is waiting for an action to be completed by another program (or part of a program). More rarely, the user is waiting for the program to complete an action, or series of actions. In any case, someone is waiting for someone else to do something, and provide some sort of response so that the party of the first part can go on with their part of the job.

Right now I'm in the situation of the user above. I've done what I need to do in preparation for the next step in treating my cancer. Now I'm in a "Wait State," waiting on the University of Florida Proton Therapy Center to work me into their schedule. When they get down to my number, I will be scheduled for a three-day period of preparation for the eight-week course of treatment. Originally they said "a week to ten days" after our initial visit, but apparently a lot of men are finding the option of Proton Therapy attractive, and when we last talked to them they said, "within a month." It's been two-and-a-half weeks now; I think Anita is more antsy than I am ;-)

At any rate, friends and family have been asking, and now I'll be directing them here. As of today, we're still in a "Wait State." As an old hand at computer programming, I'm aware that they'll get to me whenever they get to me; as Jesus reminds us in Matthew 6, worrying about it won't be of any use. So I've committed everything to His hands, and am trusting that, as Paul tells us in Romans 8, "..all things work to the good of him who loves the Lord." Thanks for your prayers, and thanks (Rita and others) for reminding me to provide the updates. I love each of you who has expressed your concern and offered your prayers. May God bless us, every one...

No comments: